Men’s Pen B vs MUHC | 1-1 DRAW | B.Sullivan

Focusing on the last 15 minutes of their round 1 match, rather than the 55 minutes that had preceded, the Pennant B Boys we’re up and about early in their 1st run out at home for season 2017.

A few positional tweaks to the defensive ranks saw the experienced duo of Skooter and Dowesy pair up at full back, with the youthful and energetic pairing of MC Condy & Nuwy being paired for the 1st time as dual centre halves. The switch up worked well as Knox dominated the early exchanges, and in truth, most of the 1st 35 minutes. A best-on-ground performance by PK, under the watchful eye of Men’s Head Coach Bill Fuller, proved a major factor in a greater attacking presence and threat when Knox had the ball, allowing the defensive unit some breathing space and the chance to maintain structures that they weren’t afforded in round 1.

Some brilliant close passing between the forwards opened up Melbourne Uni several times down the right wing, with Big Maximus again impressive, dovetailing well with Lutzie, PK, debutante Ryan and the returning Spuddy. Some resolute defending and good keeping the only thing stopping the home side from opening the scoring. As the half wore on, Knox began to tire and Uni were able to exert some pressure of their own. In the Knox net Sonny showed his worth with a couple of top drawer saves to keep the score level at nil all at the break.

The second half very much followed the same pattern as the 1st. Knox started brightly and caused Uni all sorts of problems, compounded with a flurry of cards for the visitors resulting in a numerical advantage for the boys in yellow on a number of occasions. Ever growing in confidence, and gaining more of an understanding of the game plan, Knox took the lead at a penalty corner. President Screech sneaking in at the post in front of the canteen crowd and jabbing home from close range.

The next 15 minutes saw Knox continue to dominate possession and position, creating a raft of chances and winning a good number of corners. Unfortunately with 7 or 8 minutes remaining, back to full strength, and after a few minutes of sustained pressure, Uni scrambled home an equaliser from close range. The Knox back line had paused expecting a foul to be awarded that never came. The old addage of “play to the whistle” proving costly.

Knox immediately got back on the front foot and some more great forward play by PK put Screech in on the GK. Under pressure from a recovering full back Screech could only shoot straight at the keeper who saved comfortably.

Deflated upon the final whistle, the boys should be proud of their efforts and strong in their belief that they can open their account with a win away to Doncaster in round 3.